Email me!

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Mr L's Response to President Obama

 For context, read this article from the NY Times:

School’s Shake-Up Is Embraced by the President


Dear Mr. President,

If the best of us aren't safe, why should any of us become teachers? I was at work until six o'clock on Friday. Yesterday, Saturday, I graded essays for three hours. I'll do the same today. I worked a six day week this week. I do that often. I research and plan for much of the summer. I am not compensated for that. I also work in a district with significant social problems. Too many of our students don't do well. Your endorsement of the Central Falls, RI nuclear option is not only profoundly wrong for public schools in general... it threatens my family. Right now, smart people should avoid the profession. The Democratic Party has lost my membership and you have lost my vote.

While I agree teachers should be held accountable, to do so without holding anyone else accountable is nothing more than political scapegoating. All the electorate hears right now is that teachers are the problem.

How politically expedient.

Sincerely,
Michael Lambert

No comments: