Email me!

Friday, April 20, 2007

Poetry VI: The Wind

I attended a conference today. The substitute administered the spelling test and had the students work on the following poem in class:

The Wind
By Robert Louis Stevenson

I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

O you that are so strong and cold,
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you a beast of field and tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!


Students read the poem through once for meaning and wrote in their journals about it. Afterwards they read it again and identified as many poetic devices as they could (metaphors, similes, personification, etc.)

We will be interrupting our poetry unit next week to start a Social Studies based research project, so there will be no spelling list. We will discuss the project and choose topics on Wednesday. Afterwards we will be spending a lot of time in the library.