Email me!

Monday, November 24, 2008

One Perfect Rose, The Monster's Dream, Working a Shakespearean Sonnet Continued

10R

  • Rewrite the homework assignment, edit and revise, hand in for a grade.
  • Read "The Sonnet-Ballad" by Gwendolyn Brooks:

    Oh mother, mother, where is happiness?
    They took my lover's tallness off to war,
    Left me lamenting. Now I cannot guess
    What I can use an empty heart-cup for.
    He won't be coming back here any more.
    Some day the war will end, but, oh, I knew
    When he went walking grandly out that door
    That my sweet love would have to be untrue.
    Would have to be untrue. Would have to court
    Coquettish death, whose impudent and strange
    Possessive arms and beauty (of a sort)
    Can make a hard man hesitate--and change.
    And he will be the one to stammer, "Yes."
    Oh mother, mother, where is happiness?

  • Read through once for tone and clues for theme
  • Read through again to clarify vocabulary and discuss imagery
  • Read "One Perfect Rose" by Dorothy Parker:

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet--
One perfect rose.
I knew the language of the floweret;
"My fragile leaves," it said, "his heart enclose."
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.
  • Do the same: read through once for tone and theme, then a second time carefully for full meaning
  • HW: Applying, # 4

11R

  • Journal: discuss the nature of Steve's dream on page 63
  • Discuss the cell scene on page 57; encourage students to "see" the movie as the directions dictate. Why is this scene significant?
  • HW: read to pg 113 and construct 5 questions for the book up to this point.

English Lit

  • Read Sonnet 116:
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
  • Read as described above: once through for tone and theme, then carefully, examining the imagery carefully
  • Contrast this sonnet with that from Friday's class.
  • Start "Fear No More the Heat o' the Sun"
  • Annotate and be prepared to discuss tomorrow.